Thursday, February 3, 2011

Reece Peanut Butter Cup Chocolate Ice Cream


What's a girl to do while cooped up in the house during an ice storm? Make ice cream, of course! :) For Christmas, I received David Lebovitz's book, "The Perfect Scoop". It's the most amazing collection of ice cream and sorbet recipes I've read. I chose the Chocolate recipe to be my first because I had an entire bag of Reece Cup minis lying around and knew if I mixed those into the ice cream, my family would elevate me to "Diva" status...at least while they savored their bowls of deliciousness! Plus, I couldn't wait to have the opportunity to take a picture using these gorgeous dessert dishes that I inherited from my Granny and knew the chocolate would photograph beautifully in the clear glass.

This ice cream was beyond delicious! Every spoonful was incredibly creamy and chocolaty! I couldn't believe that any homemade ice cream could develop the richness of flavor that this recipe does. I can't imagine purchasing another quart of chocolate ice cream, especially with grocery prices escalating, when I can create an all natural, delicious recipe at home for half the cost! Oh-did I forget to mention that the Reece Cups were DIVINE mixed in with the chocolate! Best idea EVER!

From the heart of my kitchen to yours, may your experience be fun and the food always flavorful! Enjoy!

Chocolate Ice Cream

2 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
5 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped (I used bittersweet)
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
5 large egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
15 miniature Reece Peanut Butter Cups, chopped (my addition)

1. Warm 1 cup of the cream with the cocoa powder in a medium saucepan, whisking to thoroughly blend the cocoa. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer at a very low boil for 30 seconds, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat and add the chopped chocolate, stirring until smooth. Then stir in the remaining 1 cup cream. Pour the mixture into a large bowl, scraping the saucepan as thoroughly as possible, and set a mesh strainer on top of the bowl.

2. Warm the milk, sugar, and salt in the same saucepan. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.

3. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the chocolate mixture until smooth, then stir in the vanilla. Stir until cool over an ice bath.

4. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. (If the cold mixture is too thick to pour into your machine, whisk it vigorously to thin it out.) 

**After the mixture was finished in my ice cream maker, I stirred in the Reece Cups, poured it into a freezer proof container and froze it for 5 hours. Delish!

Source: David Lebovitz-The Perfect Scoop

14 comments:

Flourchild said...

I think your doing the righ tthing..making something yummy!! How wonderful! The ice cream look so good!

Lisa said...

That ice cream looks so creamy and rich. Now that is gourmet ice cream. I hope you'll bring this to the Sweets for a Saturday linky party this weekend.

Rachel said...

I SERIOUSLY need to buy an ice cream maker!!! Sarah made ice cream for us one time and it was heavenly--just as yours looks! Plus, the addition of Reese peanut butter cups...does it get much better than that?!? I bet you scored major points with this ice cream!!!

Shelby said...

homemade ice cream out beats any kind and the chocolate/PB cup is the best!

CaSaundraLeigh said...

Ooo yum! Pretty sure I wouldn't be able to eat just one serving ;-)

Jessica | Cajunlicious said...

Love making ice cream during an ice storm....Just came across your wonderful blog and am a new follower!!!
- Jessica
http://cajunlicious.blogspot.com

Erica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erica said...

The ice cream look so good!

affordable insurance

Micheal said...

I like this post. You have shared great information. I am impressed with the site and topic that you discussed.
Boot Camp Spokane

Anonymous said...

Fine method of telling, and enjoyable article to acquire factual statements. shave ice flower cups

Taita Web said...

That ice cream looks so creamy and rich. Now that is gourmet ice cream. I hope you'll bring this to the Sweets for a Saturday linky party this weekend.العاب طبخ بنات
العاب بنات
العاب ذكاء اطفال
العاب ماريو

Unknown said...

مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة كشف تسربات المياة بالدمام
شركة تسليك مجارى بالدمام

Unknown said...

The information is very good and very useful. I really like it and I am also waiting for the post information. And do not forget my friends visit my website :) thank you


Obat Lemah Syahwat
Obat Asam Lambung
Obat Syaraf Terjepit
Obat Stroke Ringan
Obat Kanker Hati
Obat Mata Keratitis
Obat Mata Ikan
Obat Kista Ginjal
Obat Fatty Liver
Manfaat Jian Xin Capsule

herbs said...

Your blog was so nice and very attractive to see. Thank you so much for sharing these nice articles. Here is my online shopping site.