Saturday, September 27, 2008

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Autumn is my absolute favorite season. I love how the morning air has a crispness you can practically touch. I love how listening to the breeze rustle the colored leaves makes me long to curl up with a warm blanket and a Karen Kingsbury book ( to have the opportunity to actually sit and read more than a sentence of a book I will either have to administer Benadryl to all the kiddos so they all take naps or scoot them off to my parent's house.....of course I'm kidding about the Benadryl bit) . I also love the way my cooking changes during this season. My crock-pots slowly reappear and replace the grill, comforting meals such as soups, stews and chili appear on our menu again and the kids often arrive home from school to fresh baked muffins or cookies.

One of my all time favorite ingredients to bake with during this time of year is pumpkin. I begin to stock pile this amazing puree in late July. Seems a little obsessive huh??? Well, just after my kiddos were back into school, my pumpkin baking frenzy began. Muffins, breads, cookies and cakes were coming out of the ovens just as fast as they could be consumed. My kids have been in a pumpkin eating glory and no, their skin doesn't have an orange tint to it yet.

These cookies have quickly become a favorite for us. I made them the first time for our family a few weeks ago and resorted back to them today when I was preparing dinner for a friend who took a nasty fall yesterday. I wanted to make her an apple pie, but time got away from me. I remembered sharing these with her when I first baked them and thought they'd be a great treat for her to have this weekend. This recipe comes together so quickly and easily. Everything is mixed in one bowl and you're ready to bake in just minutes. They have a cake-like texture to them and have the perfect balance of pumpkin and chocolate in every bite. The recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and I thought some pumpkin pie spice would add even more flavor. I added 1/2 teaspoon this time and love how it kicked up the taste of cinnamon and spice in this special little cookie.

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies

4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 (16-ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I used Mini's)
1 cup chopped walnuts (I omitted)
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (my addition)


In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add pumpkin, oil, eggs, milk and vanilla; beat on medium speed until well mixed. Stir in chocolate ships and nuts. Drip by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees F for 13-14 minutes or until edges just begin to brown. cook for 2 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely.



Source: All Recipes

1 comment:

Lisa said...

these look so great! I have to try them!