Friday, June 12, 2009

Spice Encrusted Pork Tenderloin

Lately I've been on the search for dinners and recipes that will offer and provide a couple of different meals throughout the week for our family. Trying to stretch our family grocery budget has become a priority with me not working over the summer months. And it never hurts to tighten up the budget strings anyway...just ask my husband! :)

Pork tenderloin was not on sale the week I had this on my menu so I hesitated a moment at the meat counter. These two loins were a total cost of $10.34. As I stood and figured out that I would be preparing three different meals for the six of us, I realized that the cost per person per meal for the meat was right around .55 cents. WOW-not such a bad deal after all!!

This recipe was quick and simple to prepare. After rubbing the loins with all the spices, I browned the meat for a few minutes per side to seal in the flavor and juices of the meat and then baked them for 20 minutes. Pretty easy, huh?!

The flavors of the spices on the tenderloins were fantastic!! It definitely had a little "kick" to it, but not too much that the kiddos wouldn't eat it.

In my next post I'll be sharing a recipe for Pork Tostadas using shredded pork reserved from this recipe!!

From the heart of my kitchen to yours, may your experience be fun and the food always flavorful. Enjoy!

Spice-Encrusted Pork Tenderloin

2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
2 tablespoons ground coriander
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
2 tablespoons garlic salt
2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
4 (1.5-pound pork tenderloins, trimmed)
1/4 cup olive oil, divided

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; set aside.

In a small bowl, combine chili powder, coriander, cumin, kosher salt, oregano, garlic salt, and pepper. Coat tenderloins evenly with spice mixture.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook 1 tenderloin for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until browned. Remove tenderloin and place on prepared pan. Repeat with remaining olive oil and tenderloins. Bake for 20 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of tenderloin registers 155 degrees or desired degree of doneness. Slice to serve.

Source: Cooking with Paula Deen Jan/Feb 2009

10 comments:

Delectable Dining said...

I love the idea of using this as a 'starter meat' for other dishes! Glad everyone liked it! We'll have to try it soon!

Barbara Bakes said...

I've been cooking my pork tenderloin lately too. This looks like a great version!

Michelle said...

This looks wonderful and having it for two meals is always a good thing!

Lyndas recipe box said...

I love pork tenderloin and you picked the perfect spices to pare with it; looks delicious!

Unknown said...

Can you swing by around 630 and drop these off? I will set the table.....

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Christy, a delicious combination of spices for a great tasting pork. Great recipe my friend. My kind of flavors.

Healthy Beach Bum said...

That looks great!! Loving all of the spices :) You are quite the chef!

Dorkys Ramos said...

Wow, this looks delicious. It's only 9 AM and I already want some of this!

Visiting from SITS!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

That looks amazing! Pork is the only meat I really enjoy! Thanks for sharing and can't wait to see the tostados!
~ingrid

♥Rosie♥ said...

Looks wonderful with all those delicious spices mmmmmm