Sunday, October 5, 2008

Apple Crisp

Last weekend we took the kids to the local orchard to pick apples and to enjoy a beautiful Autumn day. We handed a bag to the boys and another to the girls to pick to their hearts content. Marty and I had a ball watching as the kids climbed tree after tree to pick the perfect apple. We ate and picked and picked and ate apples for over an hour and had such a great time. We also brought home more than enough apples for me to bake with...yay!!
The first thing I wanted to prepare with all these yummy apples was an apple crisp. I've had several recipes that have been my favorites over the years and wanted to try my hand in combining the best of all and see how it turned out. I used a mixture of Jonathon and Red Delicious apples, not typically the best to bake with
but it's what the kids picked. I increased the ingredient amounts for the topping and drizzled maple syrup over the top before baking. OH MY WORD...this was divine. The apples were sweet and juicy and full of cinnamony flavoring and the topping with the added maple syrup was thick and crunchy and perfect. If only we had ice cream to top it off...well maybe next time.

Apple Crisp

Enough apples to fill a 9x13 pan 2/3's of the way up
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/4 cup flour
3 individual sized packets Cinnamon Roll flavor oatmeal (about 3/4 cup)
1 cup (1 stick) salt free butter cold
maple syrup
Line a 9x13 pan with sliced apples until 2/3 full. Combine sugar and cinnamon and pour over apples. Cut butter into flour and oatmeal with a pastry blender and crumble over the apples. Drizzle with maple syrup. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Sources: Granny (Edna Harris) and Zandra White




4 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

I LOVE apple crisp! I make it quite a bit and it never fails to make me happy.

Southern Plate said...

Now how nifty is this recipe? This is just about the neatest thing I've seen on the web today!!
Thanks for posting it!
Christy

Christy said...

You're incredibly sweet! You made my day with your kind words.

Vikis Kitchen said...

Hi, This is the easiest and yummiest of all the versions I have seen. I am not so good at baking,but I am learning it through good blogs like yours. I will try this soon .Moreover your blog is very informative and useful.Thanks a lot for this nice recipe.