Friday, January 16, 2009

Chocolate Chip Vanilla Ice Cream

This is the final post of the yummy food I prepared for Marty's birthday celebration. I've already shared with you the fresh homemade Kaiser rolls and bbq pulled pork that we had for dinner, both of which Marty and the kids loved, next of course would be DESSERT! Every birthday celebration has to be completed with dessert, most typically a birthday cake and ice cream, but Marty doesn't really care for cake, so I debated with myself over what treat would be special enough for the evening. Marty love, love, loves warm, fresh cookies or brownies with ice cream and chocolate sauce. I chose to bake chocolate chip cookies and make homemade chocolate chip ice cream. My friend Sarah gave me the AWESOME Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker for Christmas. This was the perfect opportunity to put it to work. I was excited, it was going to be perfect!!

I prepared the basic vanilla ice cream and added mini chips during the last 5 minutes of churning. The more basic the taste the more Marty will like something. The ice cream maker was so much fun to work with and had soft serve ice cream ready in about 25 minutes. I then put it in the freezer to harden up just a little.

I ran out of time to make "gourmet" cookies, so I resorted to the ever faithful Nestle chocolate chip cookie recipe and made bar cookies with it. Easy, quick and still delicious!

This was a perfect ending to our fabulous celebration dinner in honor of my fantastic husband. I hope you have enjoyed sharing all the yummy recipes from our evening.

From the heart of my kitchen to yours, may your experience be fun and the food always flavorful. Enjoy!

Vanilla Ice Cream

1 cup whole milk, well chilled
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 cups heavy cream, well chilled
1 - 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, to taste
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips

In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer or a whisk to combine the milk and granulated sugar until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 - 2 minutes on low speed. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla to taste. Turn machine on, pour mixture into freezer bowl through ingredient spout and let mix until thickened, about 25 - 30 minutes.

Source: Cuisinart Recipe Booklet (Thanks So Much Sarah-I Love My Ice Cream Maker!)

4 comments:

Shelby said...

I love homemade icecream!!!

Pamela said...

THere is nothing like home made ice cream! My older son was just asking me to make some mint chip tonight. But it's about 3 degrees outside, so I think I might wait a couple of days! The whole dessert looked decadent.

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Oh Christy, what a lovely dessert. I agree, there is nothing better than homemade ice cream. Store bought does not compare. Great job.

Talita said...

Wow! That sounds great! I'd love to have an ice cream right now!