Sunday, February 15, 2009

Baked Apple Doughnuts

I am always looking for new, exciting foods to serve my family for breakfast. Marty leaves for work very early in the morning and the bus schedule for the kids attending three different schools gets pretty crazy too. It's always handy to have something that's easy for the kids to grab on their own and that Marty can munch on in the car.

Typically my go to idea is muffins. Our entire family loves muffins of any and every kind, but I've been on the quest to find something new and delicious. When I found this recipe I was so excited, it didn't have any pictures with it but just reading through the ingredients and directions on how to prepare these, I knew they would be a huge hit with everyone.

As I said in my last post, my friend Sarah and I have spent alot of time together in the kitchen preparing for Valentine's day. One evening as we were waiting for the cookies to cool, she and I decided to bake these doughnuts for our families. We baked several batches and had plenty to send a platter with Marty to work. From what I was told, a few of the guys enjoyed more than a couple of yummy doughnuts. The platter came home empty and the guys apparently went home full. Try this fantastic recipe for baked doughnuts and see if these are a huge hit with your family too. They're definitely going to make a regular appearance in our home.

From the heart of my kitchen to yours, may your experience be fun and the food always flavorful. Enjoy!

Baked Apple Doughnuts

1-1/2 cup flour
1-3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup of sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup peeled and grated apple
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup melted butter


Stir first 4 ingredients and 1/2 cup sugar together into bowl. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in egg, milk and apple, mixing well. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Mix 1/3 cup sugar and cinnamon in small bowl.

Remove doughnuts from pan and roll in butter (we brushed butter on with pastry brush), then roll in sugar mixture.

Source: A View of America-Recipes

11 comments:

Barbara Bakes said...

How fun to bake these with a friend. I need to start doing that. These look delicious!

Delectable Dining said...

I had so much fun making these with you!! Thanks for sharing your kitchen (and recipe)!

Shelby said...

These sound great! I have a little pan for baking doughnuts and have been looking at a recipe in light and healthy recently - but these could be the ticket!

Kelly Weaver said...

These look really good! They look a lot like the doughnuts you would get at Smokey Bones (but can't now that they are closed) I can't wait to try them!

Lo said...

Yum. Who can argue with these? What fun to bake with a friend.

Us said...

Those look so yummy! Can you just deliver some to my house??? xo

Michelle @ My Gluten-free Kitchen said...

These look very yummy. I'm going to add these to my "want to try" file.
Since you mentioned that you make a lot of muffins, I wonder if you would share some of your favorites on here sometime? I would love it!

Shelby said...

Yeah, I'm definitely going to make me some baked doughnuts SOON! Yours look awesome!

Donna-FFW said...

How awesome do these sound! Baked donut, how terrific! Can't wait to give them a try!

Rob said...

These doughnuts were absolutely delicious! I could not stop eating them!

Cindy said...

a neighbor brought these to me when I had our 2nd child--she is now 31! So I guess I have been baking these for 31 years! They are the most requested recipe when my children and grandchildren come to visit.I have spent the last 30 minutes enjoying your blog--so many good recipes to try. Thanks